Friday, April 13, 2012

Favorite Fotos From FlickR for Friday, 4/13/2012

The theme for this weeks favorite images is tranquility. As I was sitting listening to the rain (and now thunder and rain) and thinking about this weeks blog update, I realized that one of the reasons I like rain and rainfall is the sense of calmness and tranquility I experience when I stop, listen and watch. Living in Southern California, the opportunities to feel the tranquility brought on by rain are not very frequent but I also realized that there are other things that affect me in the same way.


The Photographic Exhibitions Committee (PEC) of Professional Photographers of America uses twelve elements when evaluating an image. One of those elements is impact. Impact is described as "the sense one gets upon viewing an image for the first time. Compelling images evoke laughter, sadness, anger, pride, wonder or another intense emotion." When I saw the water on the grass after a morning rain I realized the scene evoked the emotion of calmness. 




When I saw the smoothness in the water beneath the waterfall I had the same sense of calmness and tranquility.




So I decided to search FlickR for images that evoked those same emotions. I used search terms like 'japanese garden', 'water rock' and 'zen garden' and found these five images. All of these images evoke tranquility, calmness and peace but they are also interesting in other ways.


I like the placement of the central rock and sense of movement in this first image.
"Non-Rolling Stones" by Miodrag Bogdanovic mitja


I like the use of the water falls as a leading line in the next image.
"Botanical Garden Waterfall" by BARLEY MOON PHOTOGRAPHY


I like the clean edges, concentric circles and the placement of the lantern in this monochrome image,
"Zen Garden" by LomiMonk [Brian]


I like the shadow lines in the water and rock texture in this next image.
"Birdbath Rock" by bratjerm


I like the depth of field and use of the bamboo as a leading line in this last image.
"Bamboo for you..." by hollyberry1204


 I hope that both of my recent uploads as well as these FlickR images evoke the emotions of peace and tranquility when you look at them. Feel free to visit my website, like my Facebook fan page, follow me on Twitter or add me to a circle on Google+.





No comments:

Post a Comment